Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The fly in the ointment of Assault on Arkham Part 2

Suicide Squad 64
After having read and processed the comments in my last posting I'm going to stick to my guns on this one. In Suicide Squad #1 of the 2007-08 9 issue mini-series we see Amanda Waller blow of the head of a prisoner at Belle Reve who tried to lead a prison break and had taken some guards as hostages. In Checkmate #3 (Vol. 2) Waller shot dead when she could have taken prisoner a would be Kobra assassin sent after her. And of course we all saw what happened with KGBeast in Assault on Arkham as well as the fact that Waller put out a hit on The Riddler.
The bottom line here is that Waller can be ruthless with her enemies and even with convict members of The Squad when she needs to keep them in line. But authorizing lethal force to any degree against American civilians and or against law enforcement agents was just stretching things too much. I mean sending The Squad on a mission where it's anticipated that they're gonna have too knock around some cops who probably have families is one thing but to say it's ok to kill some of em if they need to? Uh-huh no way I'm not buying it that's not the Amanda Waller I know that was a definite over site in what was other wise a well done and very entertaining movie.


Nightshade digital painting by Julianna Pardue
Ok now that I got all that Amanda Waller stuff off my chest let me move on here a bit. I haven't bothered looking for any Suicide squad related fan art for months now so I decided to see what's out there for the Hell of it last night. Hot damn did I ever find some awesome stuff out there so I just had to add it to this posting . .

Deadshot fan art by Phil-Cho
 .I love this subtle costume re-design not to mention the animation cell style look to this fan art. What DC's ultimate marks man might have looked on Young Justice? . . . .

Sashs Bordeaux cosplay by White Lemon
Dios Mios! Spanish cosplay vixen White Lemon hits it our of the park again with a little something for Checkmate fans. Suddenly I'm really thirsty for some lemonade.

14 comments:

  1. But of course, everyone knows to be a truly hard ass female you have to be able to kill innocents. :P. Just another example of patronizing writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sense of movement in that Nightshade pic is outstanding.
    And now I want to play dress up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember what site it was on, but I once read a DC Villians Top 10 list that had Waller at #6. While the numbering is off, it's a move I completely agree with. In my mind Waller is the head of the Squad because the top brass know she has the ruthlessness to relate, and she's such a force of nature, it's the laws way of keeping her on our side, rather than have her loose and taking things into her own hand.

    And partly I think that's why Shot and co work for her. They are afraid of what she'll do to them in the CCTV blind spots that they'll never find any witnesses to. She's so smug because everyone even Batman is waiting for her to turn, but she knows she'll never will because she can break laws, bones and spirits legally free :)

    To me she wouldn't say that line, but only because she wouldn't verbally condone it. "Cameras won't see a thing" is more in character to me.

    Love that last cosplay - always great to see the odder characters cosplayed aye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. an anti-hero yeah. but a villain? i don't see that at all mate. at least not based on the Amanda Waller as seen in the Ostrander Suicide Squad run as well as the pages of Checkmate in the old DCU both of which i've read thoroughly over the years.

      Delete
    2. There's a difference in believing that YOU are inherently right, and believing in what IS inherently right. A fine distinction, but I always thought Waller was the latter.

      Delete
    3. If there were such people, we'd never know their names.

      Delete
  4. Love, LOVE that Deadshot pic. Hot damn, that's awesome. Same for the Sasha Bourdeux cosplay.

    Yeah YJ's briefly returning for a one-time stop over at the Teen Titans to toughen 'em up, then back to limbo-land. Sad really. Just fucking bring 'em back already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that doesn't sound good based on what i've seen of the teen titan's cartoon in the past.

      Delete
  5. Nightshade is SO awesome! I have some stuff with her in a post later this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think so too. an absence of Nightshade in the Suicide Squad reboot is yet another thing about the DC52 i hate. by the way i think you'll like this, in fact i know you will http://suicidesquadtaskforcex.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-nightshade-is-center-fold.html

      Delete
  6. Found this just now @ comicbookresources.com:
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/08/27/1987-and-all-that-suicide-squad-1-8/

    Definitely something you don't already know, but still.....Nice to see some 'Squad love anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the link Dale that article sure did rack up a lot of comments fast.

      Delete
  7. Unless I missed something (I've only seen it once or twice), Amanda didn't "authorize" the killing of the guards. In fact she told Floyd non-lethal and instructed him to use rubber bullets.

    Again, I could have missed something and am in the process of re-watching it to review on my Task Force X Podcast (plug plug available at iTunes and my website: http://headspeaks.com).

    Don't get me wrong... the way I've read Waller over the years, if she needed someone killed off to make her life "easier" she would definitely have it done. She's hard ass enough.

    I wouldn't call her a "villain" as I say referred to above, but definitely an Anti-Hero... I don't know... thinking about it, I guess she's borderline villain....

    That's my thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah watch the scene again where she's briefing the Squad about the mission especially just before she tells Floyd to use rubber bullets.

      Delete