Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Len Wein...and now Harry Dean Stanton


Bill Sienkiewicz
Ya know it's ironic that this tragic news about Len Wein's passing should come just over a week after I fished this issue of Comics Interview 32 out of a quarter box. Which as you may have guessed I grabbed because of The Swamp Thing article inside. Cheesy as the early 80s Wes Craven film was it seemed really cool to me at the time and it was actually my introduction to The Swamp Thing character. And then one day I saw an issue at a drug store some where and that would be the beginning of what was a pretty big Swamp Thing collection. I even had this Swamp Thing action figure at one point it was actually kinda cool it had this detachable hand with a line attached to it that pulls the hand like a fisherman's reel.
As for Wolverine, I was a fan long before it was hip to be a Wolverine fan in the 80s I collected every appearance I could find. Back then a Wolverine appearance in a non-X-Men title was always guaranteed to bump up it's value but I didn't care much about that I just wanted to read more Wolverine and seeing him interact with other Marvel super heroes from Captain America to Spider-Man and even ROM was beyond awesome. Ofcourse Wein's body of work went far beyond just co-creating Swamp Thing and Wolverine and I think it's nice to know all that will still be around for future generations to enjoy.

Len Wein and Hugh Jackman at the 2008 San Diego Comic-Con
Over the years I've done a few unique Swamp Thing centric blog postings over here if you never saw them or don't remember them you suck, but here are the links anyways...
http://suicidesquadtaskforcex.blogspot.com/2010/11/why-didnt-squad-ever-run-into-swamp.html
http://suicidesquadtaskforcex.blogspot.com/2016/11/swamp-thing-and-golem.html
http://suicidesquadtaskforcex.blogspot.com/2013/12/poison-ivy-vs-swamp-thing.html



September 15th Update: So now we have it happen again this week. Another big name from our child hood as comic book and sci-fi fans has passed away. This time it was Harry Dean Stanton who died at 91. Stanton has had a long career on both the big screen and small spanning for decades. I knew him best as Brett from ALIEN and as Brain from Escape from New York. And don't forget about Stanton's brief appearance in the first Avengers film where he plays a security guard who finds Bruce Banner amid a mass of debris caused by him falling through the roof of an abandoned building while he was The Hulk.


3 comments:

  1. That's weird. I could've swore I commented on this already.
    Let's try this again.....
    Never saw that particular issue of Comics Interview or any actually, but damn cool cover. I recognize the name, David Antony Kraft, because he was a writer for Marvel in the 70's and 80's, notably on the Defenders.

    Oh I used to same sweet ass Wolverine Marvel Masterworks card!

    Wein's legacy will endure as long as people are still around thanks to all the comic characters he made and co-made. No doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same Swamp Thing figure. It was the coolest one from the action figures based on the Swamp Thing animated series

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually the only good one from that toy line the rest of em were retarded marketing gimmicks that hardly made any sense to the character. I believe there was a glow in the dark one that was made from the same mold (pun intended) as the one we used to have but you might want to verify that.

      Delete