Saturday, December 29, 2012

Cheshire, Deathstroke, Checkmate and what I didn't know about Roy Harper before

Left click to enlarge

Just last night I stopped by my local comic shop on the way home wanted some reading material for the last weekend of the year. As good fortune would have it I found some Teen Titans back issues that featured Roy Harper and Cheshire in some $1 bins. As you can see the stories took place after the whole Qurac nuking incident in which Cheshire manipulated Deathstroke into helping her get a nuke which she used to destroy the terrorist nation of Qurac.
Two things I didn't realize before is that indeed Harper had been an agent of Checkmate at on time. Which is ironic because I had no idea before I put this fictitious cover art for a Red Arrow, Checkmate, Suicide Squad cross over issue earlier this year. Another thing I found out in these Titans issues I picked up is that Harper has the ability to utilize almost any object as a deadly projectile weapon begging the question of how a hypothetical contest between him and Marvel's Bullseye would go down. That would be a close call cause Roy's one tough hombre with some mad hand to hand combat skills too.
Let me bring your attention to the clip art below that I found online which is out of  Deathstroke #19. This is the issue where it all went down with Quarac's destruction aside from Cheshire and Deathstroke you can see Checkmate agents fighting some of Deathstroke's henchmen. She's holding her own pretty good there with a guy who could give Bronze Tiger and Batman a run for their money. Kinda makes me rethink that Elektra vs Cheshire posting I had a while back. I sure would like to find this issue in a $1 box some day but I think I be willing to buy it as a regular back issue too.

Left click to enlarge

Last but not least I found something absolutely bad ass on youtube. It's a montage video of many of the DC Universe's Who's Who series front and back cover art. The music for the video is by AC/DC can you guess what song was chosen? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_oAknKKlzk


That's gonna do it for the Suicide Squad blog this year see you all in 2013

10 comments:

  1. I think Roy was in the CBI, or whatever DC called its cheesy mash-up of the F.B.I. and C.I.A. I guess they decided that it was easier to just say Checkmate. It didn't last long-- a handful of Titans and Deathstroke issues, and maybe Action Comics Weekly.

    They didn't start that "turning any object into a weapon" stuff until the early '90s. I think it was Rob Liefeld's idea, during his brief association with the Titans franchise that led to the co-creations of Pantha/Feral and Team Titans/X-Force. Liefeld recycled the idea for his version of Speedy in Youngblood, Shaft.

    For the record, Arsenal never sold me on Roy as a badass. Great archer, inferior hand-to-hand combatant. Bullseye takes him hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. uh oh, we've got a Roy Harper detractor. we'll have none of that here Frank.

      Delete
    2. Yep. Roy is an A list character but a 2nd stringer in the badass dept. Liefield did a lot of biteing, cloneing, style stealing and remixing and applied it to his projects. Sometimes I don't know whether to applaud him or stone him. Cable is his best hands down.

      Delete
    3. hmph! well in that case i guess i'll have to make my next posting about a certain 1st string character in the bad ass department when it comes to martial arts.

      Delete
    4. You know this is my favorite blogspot to visit, so I'll be watching and waiting to jump right in.

      Happy New Years Dave

      Delete
  2. Love Roy.
    Hate Bullseye.
    But still, Bullseye would win.
    He would cheat and win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bullseye's ruthlessness might indeed give him the edge but i'm still pulling for Roy. cmon Aleira he needs all the love he can get :)

      Delete
  3. "Who Made Who" - ha, haven't heard that in years! Not the best AC/DC track by a long way but kind of appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC/DC has a ton of great songs it would indeed be very difficult to pick any one as being the best. but i certainly would not describe Who Made Who as "Not the best AC/DC track by a long way". at any rate glad you enjoyed the video never the less.

      Delete