Saturday, December 15, 2012

Weekend round up of happenings with the Suicide Squad relaunch I don't care much about


For those of you who read my other blog you may know already that I was back issue hunting after work last night. While there I noticed Suicide Squad #15 was out already which surprised me since I thought #14 just hit the shelves only a couple of weeks ago or there abouts. Just goes to show you how much of a disconnect I have with new comics these days. But since I was there I browsed it a bit and it apparently looked like little more then Joker/Harley story. I think the only other thing of any significance in the issue was Deadshot turning out to not be dead although that hardly came as a surprise.
I noticed the cover of Grifter #15 had Deadshot on it and it turns out that some other members of the Squad are in it too. But it seems to me that Harley has had her hands a little too full lately with the last Squad mission and now the Joker to be on a Squad mission going after Grifter for what ever reason. Plus, didn't Deadshot just "come back to life"? I dunno I suppose this isn't the first cross comic book titles that lacked some consistent continuity we've ever seen. Just for the record I didn't care enough about any of this to buy either issues it was just some thoughts I had upon discovering these issues on the shelves last night. Good art work in both issues though I can't much complain about that.

Left click to enlarge
I went to go see if the tessatechaitea.blogspot had done reviews of either issues yet but didn't see any so far however the Aquaman review offered a little something that I found somewhat interesting so I did some further looking into. Apparently Waller is trying to recruit Black Manta for the Squad but so far is not having much success. Good art work in that issue to you can read more on that here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=70357


Ok now back to the Ostrander Squad for a bit. I'm adding this Shade the changing man fan art into this posting as an after thought. This has been on Deviant Art for a long time and I've thought about posting it before. The thing is, I like it over all but it just has one thing that I REALLY wish was different. I like the use of color, the shading and the over all line work style along with the low keyed mood. But his legs are too damn small! That might just be the artist's style but his legs not quite being in proportion with the rest of his body is the only thing that keeps this from being a great rendering in my eyes. I'd certainly be happy to get some input on this from other people out there.

14 comments:

  1. Didn't they do the restart to clear up continuity issues? So why are they mucking them up? Oh wait. Because they can. And because that's what DC does.

    I'm still waiting for this to turn out to be a giant dream universe or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that's one way for the writers of the relaunch to win me back :) on a side note as far as Suicide Squad related relaunch stuff i took a peak at what ever issue of Team 7 was on the shelves and it didn't make any sort of impression on me. the $1 i spent on that Contest of Champions back issue was far more satisfying then any of the new stuff i looked at last night. and a Hell of a lot cheaper too!

      Delete
    2. I hear ya! I've been reading back issues of Image's Invincible, courtesy of my best friend, Kyla. Who's due any day now and home until she does. Which is really hard on her back, and really great on my comic borrowing. I've also got a stack of back issues of recent Marvels. I haven't hit those yet. I'm still mad at the writers of Ultimate Spiderman.

      Delete
    3. It still might be a dream sequence, but why saint elsewhere the whole universe and confuse and piss off all the readers?

      Delete
    4. as far as i'm concerned DC pretty much already did that with the relaunch. welcome to the blog Keth i'm glad you could join us for this posting.

      Delete
  2. Heh. Nice St. Elsewhere reference. I'd be all for a nice pullout shot of a snowglobe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The newest issue of the Suicide Squad or Harley Quinn#15. Was good, Harley has really had a hellava come out party. Adam has really made her something special and has exposed the Joker emotionally like I've never seen. It's still some type of a person left inside of a sociopathic maniac. Waller's shaping up and coming into focus as a strong new character. But as far as the Squad :( not so much. or not as we know them.

    Bought and read the Grifter tie in issues they were ok. They help connect us to Amanda's big role in the DCU. She's a major player.

    Shlomo, your boy yoyo had a nice little slot in this issue as well. Even though I know Amanda's playing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i read that part about how she's supposedly gonna get him some respect. i'm sure the book was fairly entertaining to read but it's just not the kinda Suicide Squad that i want. but as someone who's read the issues in full i'm glad you took the time to give us some feed back, thanks.

      Delete
  4. Seems like the inclusion of Grifter reeks of desperation in DC's part since that character has nothing even remotely to do w/ the Squad, other through an association with Waller.

    I wish to God it was all a dream, and the old continuity would come back too, but since sales and general positivity about the whole reboot remains strong across the board, fat chance of that ever happening anytime soon:(

    That's why other then a one or two books by marvel, and the occasional Batman comic, I'm giving my money to Dynamite Comics and buying series like The Shadow and Masks. You know, because they actually seem to care about their fans appreciate your business. Unlike you know who.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, forgot to say, I really dig that sweet-looking Shade art. I agree with you that the legs are a bit on the small side, but not too bad. You don't really see a lot of Shade fan art, so just the fact that it exists is cool as hell for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shade was good. This is better than his real old school outfit.

      Delete
  6. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-3-BJD-Doll-Hair-Wig-MSD-DZ-LUTS-DOD-HC-3DW193K-8-9-inch-/261142064060?pt=US_Dolls_Bears_Toys&hash=item3ccd47abbc Some add on this wig I saw. Perfect for making a Harley Quinn doll

    ReplyDelete