Monday, December 10, 2012

Happy Hanukkha from The Hayoth



For some reason I'm in the mood to do a Hanukkah theme posting featuring the Israeli meta human team The Hayoth which were co-created by John Ostrander and first appeared in Suicide Squad #45. Yesterday was the first day of Hanukkah so I decided to treat myself at my favorite Jewish restaurant appropriately named Holy Land which is in Oakland. As luck would have it just a few blocks away as I was leaving their happened to be a public menorah lighting so it all made for a nice evening.
Contrary to popular opinion Hanukkah is not the Jewish version of Christmass. In fact it's not even a religious holiday. Hanukkah celebrates an unlikely victory of the Jewish rebels known as Maccabees (hebrew for hammer) over an invading Greek army. A lantern was lit as a tribute to the victory but despite only having enough oil for 2 or 3 nights it some how continued to burn for 8. Hence, "8 Crazy Nights". If you haven't seen this video I made last year check it out it features Jewish superheroes from both DC and Marvel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVRWGClMRDw&feature=player_embedded

7 comments:

  1. Cool vid there Shlomo. Superman kinda' is through his creators Joe Shuster and Jerry Seigel, plus his Jesus/Moses-like origin story as well.

    There's supposed to be a list that tells you what certain superheroes' religious faiths are, so look for that on google or something sometime.

    And thanks for the correction, because I kind of figured Hanukkah was pretty much "Christmas for the Jews" as that funny SNL skit claims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when you inform. :) Thanks for the brush up on history Dave-o.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Hanukkah. I just wanted to say thanks for still liking my designs that I did for Geof way back then. Geof had previously used my costume design for the Atom 3 and he was in need of superheroes from Isreal, (all he could think of was along the lines of flag wearring... so he asked me to come up with some characters). Yes, I'm the special thanks you see on page 1 of issue 45.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there Mad Montreal Man i just took a look at my copy of issue#45 and indeed i see a thanks to a certain Normand Beaulieu. that's you i presume? i'm actually just noticing this for the first time to be honest with you but i certainly would like to know more. at the time were you a regular employee with DC or there on a contract basis or were you just a friend of Geof's whom he decide to tap on the shoulder for some creative in put?

      Delete