Saturday, June 1, 2013

A collection of absolute bad asses with attitudes


Last weekend I finally broke down and bought Batman: Under the Red Hood. After months of watching clips of it on Youtube I finally came across it at a record store that has tons of DVDs. It was only $12 so I figured what the Hell. Needless to say it was every bit as good as the scenes on Youtube from it suggest. The DVD also has some extras consisting of production documentaries of other DC animated films like Crisis on Two Earths and Superman/Batman Apocalypse. I must have a real thing for ex side kicks who turn into these anti-hero types with an attitude. I would love to see some sort of team between the Young Justice Roy Harper Arsenal and the Jason Todd from Batman: Under The Red Hood that would be so friggin awesome!


Here's some fantastic commission art by Checkmate (Vol.1) artist Steve Erwin. What can I say about this that isn't instantly obvious to the human eye? But I would like to point out I really love Peacemaker's rifle. It looks like something between an M-16 and the pulse guns in ALIENS used by the colonial marines. Back in the 80s I had a few Vigilante comics I always liked the more graphic nature of the comic and who didn't like that cool costume of his?

And one last thing. To answer you question Aliera about who is Bruno. It probably would be a good idea to not have any kids around when you click on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQC-nE8cNM

12 comments:

  1. Man that's a seamless merge in the first panel. I really like the way Roy seems not to be taking the Hoods instruction very well.

    I was just talking to Hidden Blades the other day about the differences between Deathstroke and Taskmaster and how Slade is so super popular and why.

    I also like vigilante he just couldn't hold his own to keep his book going. And Dude! that last scene with the Joker?.!!. Cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i think there's different ways you can interpret that photoshop scene with Arsenal and Red Hood. especially since it would be just be a single frame in what would be dozens of frames for that one scene. as for the Vigilante his series lasted for 50 issues so i would say it had some legs.

      Delete
  2. That Deathstroke is awesome - I'm actually on a bit of a Deathstroke buzz at the moment, and rereading some of the earliest adventures of his that I have. Maybe he should be in the next Squad. Deathstroke and Deadshot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deathstroke is one of those characters I love seeing in any comic. But I think if he were to end up on the squad it would probably be some kind of plot because he's got a contract on somebody.

      I am now further convinced we should be writing the plots for the nu52

      Delete
  3. I would love a series with Roy and Jason. If anyone can make 'Lil Roy look like a well adjusted teenager it's Jason. And I loved that movie. It's on Netflix now, and my kids have stopped letting me pick it.
    Stupid kids. They really don't know what's good for them. How are they going to know exactly how to ignore the Joker and NOT play into his hands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you need to get your whelp meat in line : )

      Delete
    2. I did check out that new Superman: Unbound movie at the video store yesterday. It was different. Good plot, good voice acting. But the artwork looks like someone who grew up idolizing Neon Genesis Evangelion. Which is fine, don't get me wrong, I love that show. It just took some adjusting to seeing it on Superman.
      Supergirl looked frakking awesome though.
      And the Whelp Meat thought it was cool.

      Delete
  4. Okay ^_^
    First Under the Red Hood is a great flick. I love Jason Todd, so I'm biased, but it is indeed very well acomplished. I saw it some years ago, and funnily it was I husband that gave it to me, I don't recall why. :) He doesn't like comics like I do.

    Deathstroke was in Team7, no reason he couldn't be in SS, except he might kill some members... Homicide Squad... I remember he was quite invencible in Teen Titans. That left this impression on me. I always expect a good performance when he is around.

    Now, what does that "Bruno" has to do with Europe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope if i get married i have a wife who's as easy to go gift shopping for as you are. the Bruno is european and in general i mentioned him just for some laughs relax.

      Delete
    2. ^_^
      We're so much more preppy primed.
      LOL!

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I'm starting to think you have a thing for ex sidekicks too. Any confessions or secret crushes you want to get off your chest? ha ha.

    But in all seriousness, killer art, especially Deathstroke. He just looks like Mike Zeck's interpretation
    come to life again, and in such detail, well all of them.
    Glad you're still fighting the brave fight on the blog front as usual. Stay strong buddy. Oh and new skits are on the way as I speak.

    And finally, Oh Shit!!!! It's Bruno!!! where's that motherfucker been hiding? I owe him like 200 euros I think:)

    ReplyDelete