Thursday, April 4, 2013

No Kobra escapes the Manhunter

Manhunter #7 written by John Ostrander left click to enlarge image
 Former public defender turned bounty hunter Mark Shaw was a character that appeared through out the Ostrander Suicide Squad series. His appearances in the Suicide Squad usually coincided with DC Universe story lines that spanned several titles such as the late 80s Millennium and later in the Janus Directive. But he also has been in the pages of the Suicide Squad for internal story arcs as well such as when he helped the Squad take on a mission against the Japanese mob that was trying to obtain a huge cache of stolen Russian weapons known as The Dragon's Horde. But as seen in the above clip art it looks like some Suicide Squad related story lines crossed over into his title at one point such as The Phoenix Gambit which dealt with a brain washed Count Vertigo caught in a power struggle between Vlatavian nationals and the Russian government.

Suicide Squad #30
 I'll admit I didn't know much about the character back when I was reading the Ostrander Squad series but I know that he was one of the non-super powered characters that had a variety of good skills and exotic weaponry. He was also one of the best martial arts fighters in the DC Universe having held his own against Rick Flag and eve managing to have kicked Kobra's ass. By the way DC relaunch and Adam Glass fuck you both with your lame Kobra knock off Regulas from Bassalisk. Let me leave you good people with a couple for links to some cool moments with Manhunter (with Rick Flag and Boomerang too) in the pages of the Ostrander Squad  http://random-happenstance.blogspot.com/search?q=Suicide+Squad+Annual+%231    as well as this cool video of the DC Universe Classic 6" figure  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pi3oOw50c

9 comments:

  1. Hells yeah! Glad mining Goo's blog for material panned out, as you hit Suicide Squad paydirt, and he's not even as big as a fan as you and Omega are;)

    I really wish I had found that Manhunter figure when it was out, as I had the Batman figure from this line.

    He really needs a DCUC figure, but the only that'll happen is maybe in the subscripition line:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaw was one of the Squad members that I wanted to stay around on Ostranders run.

      And it would be cool to have a Manhunter figure with heads that switch out.

      Looking at this post sparks reinterest in Manhunter; I might go back and pick up this series.

      Delete
  2. Dale, yeah your bro Goo has had some good material on his blog i've picked up before for not just this blog but the Rom blog as well. is he your "ace up the hole?" :)

    Tiger OA1, glad this posting gave you a little taste of "home" (old DCU).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, maybe;) But then it's a good thing there's more than one ace in the deck huh?;)

    But looking at that Shaw version of the Manhunter's gonna; make me search thefwoosh.com to see if there are customs figures out there of him. I'll post any I see here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And yet, not too long after saying something about it, I found exactly that here:
    http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24971&start=1170

    I'll message you the pics on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, did you guys know the original Manhunter had a dog named Thor? Not really pertinent, but it's really all I could remember about the name. I think I recall seeing Shaw turn up in an issue of Teen Titans that dealt with kids and drug trafficking, but it might have been someone else, and he wasn't in costume. I'd have to go dig it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, and he was later revealed to be a secret Manhunter spy, like Wally's dad was too. Yeah weird I know, but you can thank Steve Engelhart for those ret-cons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to like those manhunter issues.
    It was well writen and he was a likable character.
    Never knew what happened to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aliera, Dale has a posting up today you're gonna love check it out.

      Delete